Before you begin your submission, please prepare the following materials in order to successfully complete the online submission process. The deadline for all submissions is 15 December .
Part 1: Basic Project Information
- Innovation Name
- Give a succinct overview of the innovation and its impact on the tall building industry. (200 word maximum)
Part 2: Written Description
Please prepare answers to the following questions within the given word counts. Note: Submitted projects will be eligible to be featured in the CTBUH Best Tall Buildings book to be published in conjunction with the Awards. Please keep in mind that the text description you enter here will also be referred to in the creation of the book. View sample pages from last year’s book
- Describe the building(s) where the innovation has been implemented and/or the research and testing process. (200 word maximum)
- In what way does this area of innovation push the design of tall buildings to a higher level? How is this innovation adaptable to influence future tall building design, construction or operation? (500 word maximum)
- List all companies involved in the development/implementation of this innovation. (include discipline)
Part 3: Participation Consent
Participation in the CTBUH Awards Program requires consent to the following:
- All projects entered are eligible for inclusion in the awards book publication which features all submitted projects in a given awards year. The book is published by CTBUH in conjunction with an international publisher and distributed globally, thus providing excellent promotion for the submitted projects and companies involved.
- While it is typical that most submissions are included in the publication, CTBUH reserves the right to determine that a project will not be included for reasons that include, but are not limited to: a project does not meet the eligibility requirements for the award; appropriate, high resolution images were not provided in the submission; the project was submitted for multiple categories and will only be included in the book under one category, etc.
- Finalists are expected to attend and present at the two-day Chicago Conference on their project. These presentations will be the basis for the jury’s selection of winners.
- Winners and Finalists are expected to attend the annual Awards Ceremony & Dinner at the close of the Chicago Conference, and in the event that the project is named a Winner, collect the awards and give a short acceptance speech.
- Right to Usage of Materials: All submitted text, images, and drawings are provided with the understanding that they will be used in the awards book tentatively titled Best Tall Buildings: A Global Overview of Skyscrapers, as well as on the CTBUH website, press releases, and awards announcements for the purpose of promoting the awards events and winners/finalist. Copyright clearance and payment of any fees for artwork is to be organized by the submitter prior to submission. The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) confirms that all material will be properly identified with the appropriate copyright notice and credit line, as supplied during the upload process.
Part 4: Drawings/Images & Supplemental Documents
A selection of detail images, drawings, and other graphic information to clearly convey the specific innovation is required. Where applicable, please include drawing/images that convey the innovation in built or designed tall building examples. There is no limit to the number of drawings/images that can be submitted as long as they do not exceed the file size constraints as noted below.
Other Supplemental Documents
Additional documentation or research that you would like to share can be submitted. However, please be advised that your answers to Part 2 should serve as the primary source to convey your innovation to the jury.
Images and drawings should be submitted as individual files and should be medium to high resolution (300dpi at 8.5in x 11in size). Whenever possible, drawings should be submitted as vector based graphics (EPS, PDF).
Supported file formats: JPG, JPEG, TIFF, TIF, EPS, PDF, DWG, PPT, PPTX
Individual file sizes cannot exceed 20 MB each.
Total upload size of all files cannot exceed 500 MB.
Captions, Copyright & Sort Order
Once your images/drawings are added you will be asked to provide copyright information and captions. For the benefit of the jury, please be as descriptive as possible in your captions. The jury will review the files in the order you upload them. We advise starting with images and drawings, then any supplemental documents.
Innovation Award Criteria
This award recognizes a specific area of recent innovation in a tall building project that has been incorporated into the design, or implemented during construction, operation, or refurbishment. Unlike the CTBUH Best Tall Building Awards, which consider each project holistically, this award is focused on one special area of innovation within the design, construction, or operation of the project – not the building overall. The areas of innovation can embrace any discipline, including but not limited to technical breakthroughs, construction methods, design approaches, urban planning, building systems, façades, and interior environment. The important criteria for judging is that the submission outlines succinctly the area of innovation, in comparison to standard benchmarks.
- The project must clearly demonstrate a specific area of innovation within the design and/or construction that is new and pushes the design of tall buildings to a higher level.
- The area of innovation should demonstrate an element of adaptability that would allow it to influence future tall building design, construction or operation in a positive way.
- The Innovation Award can include recognition of a breakthrough that may not yet have been implemented in a specific building, but has been thoroughly tested.
- This award is intended to recognize a single element of innovation within a project. If a single project has multiple innovative elements, these must be submitted as separate nominations.
- Buildings that are submitted for the regional Best Tall Building awards are also eligible to have their specific innovations submitted to the Innovation Award in the same or subsequent years.
- All submissions in this category will be featured in the highly acclaimed annual Best Tall Buildings book.